PDA

Visualizza Versione Completa : Almost Finished: Light Saber

shandaman
20-05-05, 19:42
Hello all, this is my latest work. I am trying to create a light saber. Anyone got any ideas for the blade that fprime can render?

http://www.3d-wiz.com/pics/lightsaber.jpg

gebazzz
20-05-05, 23:51
hi shandaman, good job!

for the laser, you can do an internal white cylinder, and an external one (you'll choose the color) whit a gradient on the transparency channel based on incident angle: more it goes to 0, more the transparency value. I think you have to set another gradient (based on the incident angle) on the color channel, so you can go from your color to white when incident angle is 90°. so you can simulate the blur effect.. maybe, I think it can work, and if it works you can render whit fprime.

but.. another idea: you can render your lightsaber with fprime (whitout laser), then import images in the background and add the saber effect (with blur and so on) in composing.. rendering it with internal lightwave renderer.

sorry if I explained my ideas in bad english.. it's the better I can do :g1:

vash
love&peace

desinc
21-05-05, 00:52
hey vashts, nice trick for the gradient!!! really... I Never thought about it...

although, maybe my choice would be on your second idea.... lightsaber with Fprime and laser in lightwave.

my2cents

bye
:D
desinc

edit: Hey shandaman... I appreciate your metal... very good surface.

gebazzz
21-05-05, 01:58
desinc: there's a shader, edge_transparency, that quickly does it, but my suggestion is a way to do lightsaber in fprime, so.. no shaders. but we can simulate it throught gradients.

edge_transparency is similar (in concept) to fast_fresnel: those shaders quickly apply specific surface properties to some channels, and their effect can be done with gradients too.

vash
love&peace

davhub
21-05-05, 13:43
Infact, Vashts.. no need to use gradients expecially
with fast fresnel and some other shaders...

Shandaman! very nice metal surface (a little bit grainy and bumpy, try to add some scratches!)
but very nice indeed, probably I suggest you to change the backdrop HDRI
I do not think a lightsabre could be easily found in a kitchen!! :D

Davhub

shandaman
21-05-05, 14:23
Hehe your prolly right, but ill stick with it for now. But anyways here is what i came up with before i read any of your posts. ill tweak it Right now its just one tube im gonna try the double tube thing and see how it works. Anyhow here is the render.

hi shandaman, good job!

for the laser, you can do an internal white cylinder, and an external one (you'll choose the color) whit a gradient on the transparency channel based on incident angle: more it goes to 0, more the transparency value. I think you have to set another gradient (based on the incident angle) on the color channel, so you can go from your color to white when incident angle is 90°. so you can simulate the blur effect.. maybe, I think it can work, and if it works you can render whit fprime.

but.. another idea: you can render your lightsaber with fprime (whitout laser), then import images in the background and add the saber effect (with blur and so on) in composing.. rendering it with internal lightwave renderer.

sorry if I explained my ideas in bad english.. it's the better I can do :g1:

vash
love&peace

Dude dont worry about it. I was born in the us and my eglsih is plain terrible.

See i even cant type it.
:)

http://www.3d-wiz.com/pics/saber_test.jpg

Oh yeah ps: its grainy oz i only had bout 1 k passes on both of them. For a clean fprime render with a coupel k polys or more it takes a minimum of 5 k passes wich can take upto about 5 hours. But its way quicker then lw render and you can save progress so you dont loose anything.

desinc
21-05-05, 16:58
Hey shandaman, I love that laser!!!!
and your lighting rocks...

my suggestion is a way to do lightsaber in fprime, so.. no shaders.

Ies of course, I know edge_trasparency...:D

bye
desinc

shandaman
21-05-05, 18:55
Hey shandaman, I love that laser!!!!
and your lighting rocks...

[/font]

Ies of course, I know edge_trasparency...:D

bye
desinc

Hey thanks bud but it is even more different now. I have changed the laser using a different technique and it loks even better. plus i started the second saber.

shandaman
21-05-05, 18:56
Btw anyone want to see wires just ask.

Nemoid
22-05-05, 09:26
sure . i love to see wires BTW post em!! :)

shandaman
23-05-05, 17:14
Finished!!!!

Thats right i finished the first oen and started modeling the second which is the one in the back. I also got a pretty sweet blade aswell.

http://3d-wiz.com/pics/sabers.jpg

desinc
23-05-05, 17:46
Amazing!!!

shandaman this is a very good job.

...so tell us which technique did you use for the laser?

bye
desinc

shandaman
23-05-05, 18:42
It was really a custom technique. after i did it people started telling me to do it coz they hadnt seen the new render. but basicly you have a small tube that is 200% lum then you have a bigger tube around it that is about 70% trans with the color you want and thats it. OIm still tweaking min.

desinc
24-05-05, 00:54
shandaman, nice trick for the laser! :g1:
and maybe it renders in a while!

Bravo!

bye
desinc

shandaman
24-05-05, 01:29
it rendered but still kinda grainy working on it.

Nemoid
24-05-05, 06:15
cool render !! if u used f prime, maybe a bit more time is required to make the render less grainy. or, maybe , try traditional lw render this time. great light setup BTW. :)

shandaman
24-05-05, 13:08
just have to adjust the lighting quality.

shandaman
24-05-05, 13:23
Ok here is the third lightsaber in the series. this one is my favorite so far will be rendering it today. here is the wire frame.

http://3d-wiz.com/pics/saber_wire_03.jpg

shandaman
25-05-05, 16:54
#1 Finished
Here is the final render of the first light saber. Rendering the second today over lunch and then the third prolly tommarow. Enjoy all.

http://3d-wiz.com/pics/saber_01.jpg