//
Development Update: LScript in LightWave 3D® Obsoleto
Risultati da 1 a 6 di 6

Discussione: Development Update: LScript in LightWave 3D® Obsoleto

Development Update: LScript in LightWave 3D® Obsoleto

Nome: LScript.png
Visite: 1372
Dimensione: 64.6 KB

Ufficializzato sul blog di LightWave3D: LScript è obsoleto e verrà rimosso da LightWave.

LScript now takes its place in that cluttered and disorganized cabinet in my garage, alongside my drill, on a shelf reserved for reliable, rock-solid tools of the past. They will have many stories to share.
    LScript "Depreciated" Obsoleto, non verra piu aggiornato dando completamente spazio a Python, linguaggio di script ufficiale di LightWave 3D. LScript verrà mantenuto interno a LightWave, ma il suo codice non verrà ne aggiornato ne corretto ulteriormente. Successivamente, in prossima release da definire, il sistema LScript verrà rimosso da LightWave.

from Bob Hood, Director of 3D Engineering, NewTek

In a cluttered and disorganized tool cabinet in my garage lies a drill. It’s an AC-powered drill I acquired way back in my youth, a rock-solid, all-metal beast the likes of which are not seen in this day of plastic and cheapness. The fact that it is a tool that I’ve kept with me for nearly 40 years would alone give it sufficient sentimental value. However, it went through a tremendous and traumatic flood that occurred when a levee broke and unleashed the Yuba River on a small agricultural city in Northern California back in the mid-1980s. It came through and out the other side a little worse for wear (just as I did), and while it has continued to function to this day, I rely on it only in rare situations, favoring the more convenient and modern versions of its family. In a word, my good and reliable friend has been deprecated.

Which brings me to another good and reliable friend: LScript. Developed nearly a quarter of a century ago, LScript has had a long and storied career with LightWave 3D®. It was my brain child, borne out of the opportunity that presented itself when LightWave made the necessary leap away from the Amiga and to the IBM PC platform. It had its beginnings as an animation language for POV-Ray, which at the time was a still-image ray tracing renderer, but I never had the chance to work toward integrating it officially. LightWave had just been released for the PC, and when I got my copy, I discovered that it had been forced to abandon its operating system-provided scripting support (in the AmigaOS). An opportunity presented itself, so I ported my fledgling scripting language to LightWave Modeler, gave it a name (“BML”), and, well, the rest is history.

Like my aged drill, LScript has tremendous sentimental value for me, however—also like my aged drill—LScript has been de facto replaced within LightWave by a more modern member of its family: Python. While the language has come through many adventures, and has proven tremendously useful to many people over many years, it too has become aged, and keeping it current with the changes occurring with the LightWave product has become increasingly problematic. Unlike the integration of Python, LScript is a hand-crafted system, requiring manual updating in order to keep it current. The time we have to invest in that is simply becoming better spent elsewhere in LightWave.

So, with a heavy heart, I must now notify LightWave users that, with the release of LightWave 2020, LScript is now officially deprecated. This means two things to users of the language: First, while the LScript language will continue to be included with LightWave, its code will no longer receive updates or bug fixes; and second, the LScript system will be removed from LightWave in a later, to-be-determined release. In order to future-proof your work, new scripting solutions within LightWave should not be implemented in LScript, but should rather favor Python, the official scripting language of LightWave 3D®.

LScript now takes its place in that cluttered and disorganized cabinet in my garage, alongside my drill, on a shelf reserved for reliable, rock-solid tools of the past. They will have many stories to share.
    Annuncio sul blog: https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2020/05...d-depreciated/
    Luci e onde del belpaese - LWITA.com
    CALCOLATORE STILL by htsoft - FEEDBACK Calcolatore still

Licantropo L'avatar di Fire
    Ok il cessarne lo sviluppo, dispiace ma ci stà. Mi domando però ...quanto occupa e che risparmio può mai esserci nel rimuoverlo completamente in futuro, inibendo così tanti piccoli (e utili) script sviluppati nel tempo. Diverso il discorso se questo porta benefici in termini di ottimizzazione del codice....
    "...Secondo tutte le leggi conosciute dell'aeronautica, non c'è modo che un'ape sia in grado di volare. Le sue ali sono troppo piccole per sollevare il suo corpicino grassoccio da terra. ...L'ape, si sà, vola lo stesso. ...Perchè alle api non interessa quello che gli uomini ritengono 'impossibile'...". (Da "Bee Movie")

Licantropo L'avatar di SlowMan
    Penso (da profano) che Lscript qualche peso possa averlo considerando che allo stato attuale convive con Python:
    mica sempre "two is mei che uan".

Riguardo ai vecchi Lscripts esistenti bisogna considerare anche il grado di compatibilità con gli sviluppi delle future versioni di LW:
    non c'è garanzia che possano funzionare a dovere se Lscript non viene più mantenuto al passo.

Faccio una considerazione utopica:
    mettiamo che un domani mooolto lontano decidano (forse) d'integrare Modeler e Layout in un solo ambiente di lavoro,
    Lscript andrebbe uniformato al pari del programma e di conseguenza tutti i vecchi script andrebbero riscritti...
    certo la cosa vale anche per Python quindi meglio dimezzare le risorse necessarie al mantenimento.

Licantropo L'avatar di Fire
    Guarda, personalmente non credo che il codice di LScript pesi più di tanto, ma la domanda che mi facevo era semplicemente se fosse una cosa proprio indispensabile farlo ora, o perlomeno, se producesse benefici tali da valer la pena eliminarlo adesso (quando non sembrerebbrero esserci ancora particolari necessità). Che poi in futuro si possa in qualche modo (per l'unificazione degli ambienti Modeler / Layout o per altro), giungere alla stessa conclusione per subentrate esigenze, per carità, ...ci stà. Ad ogni modo, è solo un pour parler, tanto che ci piaccia o meno, tant'è, ...dispiace, ma ce ne faremo una ragione.
    "...Secondo tutte le leggi conosciute dell'aeronautica, non c'è modo che un'ape sia in grado di volare. Le sue ali sono troppo piccole per sollevare il suo corpicino grassoccio da terra. ...L'ape, si sà, vola lo stesso. ...Perchè alle api non interessa quello che gli uomini ritengono 'impossibile'...". (Da "Bee Movie")

Licantropo L'avatar di SlowMan
    Comunque qualunque modifica decidano di fare a me non cambia più di tanto... sono ancora fermo a LW 2015.

Tag per Questa Discussione

Segnalibri

Segnalibri

Permessi di Scrittura

• Tu non puoi inviare nuove discussioni
  • Tu non puoi inviare risposte
  • Tu non puoi inviare allegati
  • Tu non puoi modificare i tuoi messaggi
  •